The Smoky Mountains are a great location for a family vacation, and considering that there are over 552,000 acres in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, there is so much to see and do.
You and your family can go and explore everything this beautiful landscape has to offer. However, it can be all too easy to forget to pack a few things when you are preparing for adventure, so here’s a Smoky Mountains packing list of some essentials to include.
- Map of the area and compass
- Important lodging information, including room confirmation number and directions
- Bug spray
- Water (Make sure to pack PLENTY of water, you can never have enough!)
- Energy snacks
- Sunglasses, hat and sunscreen
- Matches in a waterproof container and candle or other fire starter
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Fishing pole
- There are more than 2,000 miles of streams within the National Park, and many of the streams are near fish capacity
- You must have a TN fishing license and a special license from the national park to fish in the Smoky Mountains
- The city of Gatlinburg stocks the river in Gatlinburg with trout each Thursday
- Don’t have a TN fishing license? Don’t worry, The Greystone Lodge in Gatlinburg allows you to fish just off the banks of their hotel lodging. The only day you can’t fish is Thursdays when the city stocks.
- Hiking stick or trekking pole
- Camera (Take some photos of the beautiful scenery while you’re on your adventure)
- Sturdy hiking boots and sandals
- Waterproof clothing
- Variety of layered clothing to regulate your body temperature
With these items in your suitcase, your vacation will go off without a hitch! You’ll be set for a great time and a Great Smoky Mountains vacation for the record books.
To truly enjoy your vacation to the fullest, stay at The Greystone Lodge on the River. This Gatlinburg lodge will give you the rest you need to take advantage of the beautiful great Smoky Mountains.